Who We Are
The Funeral Consumers Alliance of the Finger Lakes (founded in 1958 as the Ithaca Memorial Society) is a nonprofit organization guided by a volunteer board of directors. It is financed entirely by donations. Contributions are tax-deductible.
Purpose of the Alliance
- Promote consumer education and protection with regard to funeral-related issues.
- Encourage people to plan for their own final disposition.
- Assist members and their families and the general public in making plans for funeral arrangements at a reasonable cost.
- Increase the opportunity for each person to determine the type of funeral he or she desires.
Programs and activities
- Funeral planning seminars
- Help for individuals needing reliable information about funeral matters
- Publicity about funeral-related issues
- Funeral price surveys and publication of prices charged by funeral homes in the southern Finger Lakes region
- Support for legislation that benefits funeral consumers, and opposition to legislation designed to benefit funeral businesses but not consumers.
The FCAFL is happy to provide speakers to discuss advance planning and other funeral-related issues with community or church groups. Contact us if your group is interested.
This organization is a member of the Funeral Consumers Alliance, a federation of nonprofit consumer information societies across the U.S. Transfer rights are shared with other FCAs and memorial societies, thus permitting our members to receive services when they move elsewhere.
Board of Directors, 2017-2018
- Donna Scott, President
- Barry Adams, Vice President
- Diana Nathanielsz, Corresponding Secretary
- Pat Pryor, Recording Secretary
- Carol Hardy, Treasurer
- Jack Booker
- Deena Freed
- Patricia Gaines
- Peggy Haine
- Martin Hatch
- Angela Mennitto
- Bronwyn Mohlke
- Dorothy Pasternack
- Advisors: David Bandler, Carolyn Eberhard, Joel Rabinowitz